Cision assessed trends in the journalism industry over the past year.
A survey of 3,890 journalists and other industry professionals across the globe was conducted from January to February 2022.
Key findings include:
- 32% of journalists said “maintaining credibility as a trusted news source/combating accusations of ‘fake news'” was the biggest challenge.
- 57% of journalists said they felt the public has lost trust in the media over the past year.
- Journalists used Facebook (63%), Twitter (59%), and LinkedIn (56%) the most for professional reasons across the globe.
- In Europe and Asia Pacific, Facebook was the most used (64% and 76%, respectively).
- In North America, Twitter was the most used (70%).
- When journalists were asked how they felt about public relations people reaching out to them on social media, 34% said they “don’t prefer it” and 27% said it “depends on the approach.”
- 18% of journalists said their relationship with public relations professionals became more valuable over the past year, 68% said it was unchanged, and 14% said it became less valuable.