Morning Consult discovered the companies and products that consumers trust in 2022.
Two datasets were analyzed: Research Intelligence and Brand Intelligence. The Research Intelligence dataset was gathered from April 8-14, 2022, with a sample of over 11,000 people across 10 countries. The Brand Intelligence dataset was gathered March 3-April 3, 2022, among representative samples of 4,614 to 6,401 adults from the same countries.
Key findings include:
- Small businesses were generally the most trusted across all markets (63%-82%).
- China is the exception with 37% trusting small businesses.
- The No. 1 most trusted brands in the largest global economies include Band-Aid, Toyota, Google, Lidl, Tim Hortons, Alipay, Paypal, Boots, WhatsApp, and Samsung.
- Out of these No. 1 brands, six of them were established in its respective country
- Japan was the least likely to factor trust into purchases, with 65% saying “When I trust a company, I will purchase from them, but not necessarily any more than I would from another company I trust less.”
- 39% of Japanese respondents said they have lost trust in a brand compared to the 66% of Indian respondents.
- Health care and financial services were considered the two industries where trust is important. Retail & e-commerce and automotive & mobility were the two industries where trust was least important.