This blog post appears courtesy of We Communications. To view the full WE Communications Brands in Motion 2019 report, please visit here.
The WE Communications Brands in Motion 2019 report found that there is a growing expectation for brands to bring greater stability to an increasingly polarized world. The report surveyed nearly 80,000 consumers and B2B decision-makers across the globe.
• Consumers have become a greater force
• Expectations are higher for technological advances and accountability
• New influences underlie consumers’ decisions to be brand loyal
Increased choice and knowledge for consumers had resulted in higher demands placed on brands by consumers. Since the inception of the Brands in Motion report, not a single consumer expectation has decreased. Today, consumers think brands could play a greater role in providing global stability. Brands are also expected to “live” their values by taking a stance on issues and creating a tangible, positive impact.
Heightened Technology Expectations and Accountability
Consumers want technology to improve their lives, but not at any cost. Consumers are aware of the trade-offs that accompany the convenience of technology. Respondents emphasized the importance of ethics and accountability.
By the numbers:
• 97% of respondents agreed that companies are responsible for using technology ethically
• 92% of respondents said they would stop using a product or service if it was using consumer data unethically
• 96% of respondents acknowledge that consumers, along with brands and the government, have a role to play in ethical responsibility
New Influences on Brand Loyalty
In today’s age, brands must lead with purpose, build trust, and create a meaningful impact on their global and local operations. Consumers expect brands to take a stand on important issues. Not only should brands talk about their stance on issues, but they should also create a tangible impact.
By the numbers:
• 54% of respondents said they want the brands they support to balance a great product with powerful purpose and activism
• 53% of respondents want brands to address environmental problems on a local and global scale
Implications of New Brand Expectations
These findings present an opportunity for brands to strengthen their images and create loyal consumer bases. Increased focus on what makes a brand “human” will appeal to consumers’ current expectations. Brands should take advantage of opportunities where they may become part of the solution. An approach that incorporates thoughtful listening, commitment and bravery will allow brands to create positive change and a lasting legacy.
To read the full We Communications’ Brand in Motions report, please visit here.
Olivia Kresic is a Communication Coordinator for the Institute for Public Relations and a master’s student at the College of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida.