The Reuters Institute analyzed how news is being consumed globally.
An online questionnaire at the end of January/beginning of February 2022 of around 2,000 adults each in 46 countries was conducted.
Key findings include:
- 42% of total participants say they trust “most news most of the time.”
- Finland has the highest levels of overall trust (69%), while news trust in the USA has fallen by three percentage points and remains the lowest (26%).
- The average age of a person who has an online news subscription was 47.
- 8% of news subscribers in the U.K. and 17% in the U.S. were under 30.
- News consumers who say they avoid news “often or sometimes” increased across countries.
- This category doubled in both Brazil (54%) and the U.K. (46%) since 2017
- Facebook remains the most-used social network for news (60%) and TikTok is the fastest growing platform for news (16%)
Discover more about the public’s feelings toward the news industry