The study is one of 10 in the Institute for Public Relations’ “Top 10 Social Media Research Studies for Public Relations Professionals for the Second Half of 2013.”
The compilation was created by IPR Social Science of Social Media Research Center editors Dr. Marcia W. DiStaso of Pennsylvania State University and Dr. Tina McCorkindale of Appalachian State University.
The studies were chosen for their rigor of methodology, sample size, findings, and accessibility. Some of the sources included are Pew Research Center, Altimeter, Cision, and Weber Shandwick. Focusing on the role of social media within organizations, topics range from employee education and the PR-journalism relationship, to CEO sociability, sales, and more.
Aiming to not only identify important research, but to generate conversation in which practitioners can absorb and contribute meaningful knowledge, we are asking friends and followers of IPR to share additional studies they think are valuable to professionals.
This collection of studies is a follow-up to the Institute’s “Top 10 Social Media Research Articles for the First Half of 2013 for Public Relations Professionals,”which can be found at: http://bit.ly/17cBKwe.
- Social Media Update: 42% of Online Adults use Multiple Social Networking Sites, but Facebook Remains the Platform of Choice (Pew Research Center: Aaron Smith, Maeve Duggan)
- The State of Social Business 2013: The Maturing of Social Media into Social Business (Altimeter: Brian Solis and Charlene Li with Jessica Groopman, Jaimy Szymanski and Christine Tran)
- From Social to Sale: 8 Questions to Ask your Customers (Vision Critical: Alexandra Samuel, David Sevitt, Lena Lam, and Cheryl Loh)
- Social Media Education for Employees: Reduce Social Media Risk and Activate Employee Advocacy for Scale—How Leading Companies Prepare Employees for Social Media Success (Altimeter: Charlene Li and Ed Terpening with Christine Tran)
- The Social CEO: Executives Tell All (Weber Shandwick, KRC Research)
- 2013 Social@Ogilvy Brand Advocacy Study (Social@Ogilvy)
- Social Media Risks and Rewards (Grant Thornton LLP, Financial Executives Research Foundation Inc.)
- PWC’s 6th Annual Digital IQ Survey: The Five Behaviors that Accelerate Value from Digital Investments (PwC)
- Bullish on Digital: McKinsey Global Survey Results (McKinsey & Company: Brad Brown, Johnson Sikes and Paul Willmott)
- 2013 Social Journalism Study: How Journalists View and Use Social Media and their Relationship with PR (Cision)