The Harris Poll examined Americans’ opinions and fears regarding the metaverse.
A survey of 2,023 U.S. adults was conducted from March 4-6, 2022.
Key Findings include:
- 52% of people ages 18-54 familiar with the metaverse fear that the space and its technologies will lead to the neglect of their physical surroundings.
- This group particularly fears that they could lose pre-existing relationships and the ability to form new ones.
- 80% of respondents said they are interested in augmented reality/virtual reality (AR/VR) tech — a much higher percentage compared to interest in NFTs (57%) and cryptocurrency (51%).
- Over half of respondents said they were interested in using AR/VR for physical shopping, as opposed to shopping for virtual wearables that can be worn on metaverse platforms.
- Despite this hesitancy, brands are increasingly buying digital property to house and activate such assets.